Zhan Qiao (Chinese 栈桥, loading pier) pier is at the southern shore of Qingdao off Zhongshan Road. This now 440 meter (1,443.6 ft) long strip stretches into the sea and was the first wharf at Qingdao. An octagonal pavilion called the Billowing Back and Forth Tower (huilan ge), loosely translated, stands at the end of the pier and was constructed in 1930. The pier itself was started in 1891 and frequently enlarged. Zhan Qiao Pier is viewed in the eyes of many as the official symbol of Qingdao as it was made famous by being placed on the label of the Tsingtao Brewery beer bottles and the front of cans.
Also in the vicinity of Zhan Qiao Pier is the small Qingdao Island (Xiao Qingdao), the Qingdao Navy Museum, and many neighborhoods featuring German colonial architecture. The coastline lights up at night with spotlights on nearby buildings and several neon billboards.